Thursday

FEBRUARY 27th, 2014



Hello, friends. It's me, the author.

Yesterday afternoon, Maya -- my favourite little kitty in the whole entire world, and the original Winnipeg Cat model -- passed away at the age of ten, following an extended period of severe acute feline pancreatitis.

The disease progressed very rapidly over the past week or so, which I'm trying to tell myself is all for the best; artificially prolonging her life wouldn't have accomplished anything very positive, she maintained a very high quality of life almost to the very end, and she was able to slip away quietly with a minimum of suffering.

I want to take this time to thank Dr. Alison Litchfield and all of the staff at Dakota Veterinary Hospital for their efforts, their support, and their kindness throughout.

The other reason that I've decided to wrap this blog up is that, soon enough, I won't be here to do it. Two days ago I received and accepted a job offer that will move me to Air Ronge, located along the west shore of Lac La Ronge in northern Saskatchewan.

I'm incredibly excited to be moving there and to serve as the Library Consultant for the Pahkisimon Nuye-ah Library System, which represents and supports fifty-six libraries across thirty-eight northern communities. But leaving is difficult, as it always is; Winnipeg has been a major piece of my identity, right to the core of who I am, for a very long time. (Even aside from the hundreds and thousands of posts on this blog, I mean.)

My new employment begins April 4th of this year, which means I'll remain in town for another month or so, but this site wouldn't be well served by my lingering; an author who no longer lives here ghostwriting a cat who no longer lives at all wouldn't make for particularly compelling content.

So this is the end, and I want to thank you for being here with me. I'm immensely appreciative and deeply gratified that so many of you have been willing to read 1,765 posts of nearly-identical cat pictures over these past four years and three months. Some of them were better than others -- which you'd expect with seventeen hundred of anything, I suppose -- but I hope you'll remember some particular favourites you've enjoyed over the years, and I've been glad for each and every day that you found them all worth coming back for.

This concludes Winnipeg Cat. Thank you for reading.




Maya
March 23, 2003 - February 26, 2014


16 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new job! I'm sorry to hear that another big hole will be left in the Winnipeg blogosphere, but happy that you are in pursuit of greener pastures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Also condolences.

    So long and thanks for all the cats.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have been a source of community pride for a long time. Thank you very much for being a big part of Winnipeg's online culture.

    Good luck at your new job, even if it's in Wullerton *spit*.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've really enjoyed the biting commentary over the years, you will be missed. Sorry to hear about your cat and good luck with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Condolences on the loss of your cat.
    Great place to move to! Beautiful lake, splendid forest and amazing cross-country skiing. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RIP Maya,

    All cats have 9 lives..

    New Winnipeg Cat website launched, http://www.winnipegcat.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will miss your writings James! R.I.P Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  8. RIP Maya. It was great to learn the origin of the meme, although obviously it was sad that it had to be in this context. Reading your post, "Virtute the Cat Explains her Departure" immediately came into my head.

    I got into Winnipeg Cat when I saw that CBC journalist made "Vote Now, Go Back to Being Scared Later" their avatar on Twitter during the 2010 municipal election. Winnipeg Cat helped me to feel like I understood Winnipeg when I just moved there a few years ago, and its helped me to stay in touch after I moved away again recently.

    Thanks James, I'm sad to see WC go, but I'm happy for the enjoyment I've gotten out of it. Please leave the site online so we can keep reading.

    PS. To the person who's copied the site onto another domain, maybe it's best not to do this

    ReplyDelete
  9. So long Winnipeg cat. You will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. James, so sorry to hear about Maya. I've often commented to others with genuine sincerity that I should forgo all other news sources and just consult Winnipeg Cat, for it always seemed to perfectly sum up the news of the day. You will be missed, but best of luck in your new job and the adventures it will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear of Maya's passing. What a beautiful cat! I didn't realize Winnipeg Cat had a real life inspiration. I will miss your blog...checked it regularly and loved the insightful quirkiness of it. All best wishes for success in your new position. You'll be missed. May your happy memories of Maya soon outweigh the sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. RIP Maya. Thanks for all the fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It was a great run. RIP Maya.

    ReplyDelete
  14. awww man i know this is late but what a shame! Thank you- your work here was fantastic... all the best in Sask!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful cat. I am really enjoyed the biting commentary over the years, you will be missed. Sorry to hear information about cat and good luck with your new job.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I miss your commentary.

    ReplyDelete